[python-advocacy] Starting a Users Group

Greg Lindstrom gslindstrom at gmail.com
Tue May 29 22:23:29 CEST 2007

Hello, All-

I'd like to start a Python Users Group in Central Arkansas.  Can anyone help
me with any/all of the following:

   1. Why have a users group?  This may seem like a silly question, but
   what is it that users groups accomplish?  My idea would be to get Python
   coders together once-in-a-while (once a month?  is that too optimistic?) to
   discuss...what?  I have conducted seminars at two local high schools
   teaching Python; I'd like to do more.  What else?
   2. How do I get word out?  I *know* there are Pythonistas in the area,
   how do I find others?
   3. What about a mailing list?  Where can I get one hosted?  I'm
   willing to spend some $$ per month.  Perhaps that's a good start.

Thanks for your help.

Greg Lindstrom