[python-advocacy] Python Success Story (didactics of informatics)

Stephan Deibel (PSF) sdeibel at python.org
Fri Apr 25 04:16:59 CEST 2008

Aroldo Souza-Leite <asouzaleite at gmx.de> wrote:
>> this email is addressed to the administrator or chief editor of
>> http://www.python.org/about/success/.
>>
>> I would like to write a Python success story as an IT corporate trainer.
>> The company I work for (GFU Cyrus Cologne, http://www.gfu.net) has been
>> organising inhouse corporate IT seminars as well seminars in our Cologne
>> premises for 25 years, in various programming languages and IT topics.
>> Python has lately proved an outsanding choice when teaching programmers
>> to move quickly from traditional technologies to object oriented design,
>> but also a very convenient language for introducing beginners to the art
>> of programming as such. My point is to write an article analyzing and
>> justifying  the Python syntax from the point of view of teaching
>> techniques  as (ethically correctly) compared to  other currently more
>> widespread programming languages.
>>
>> The "Education" section in the success stories page seems to mean rather
>> "python based software applied to education", whereas the GFU activities
>> would rather go under a section  "Didactics of informatics" or  "IT
>> Teaching  techniques" .
>>
>> a) Is it possible to add such a section and  the success stories page?

The master copy of the stories is at http://pythonology.org/success
and there is information about writing one here:

http://pythonology.org/successguide

I'm not completely sure what you plan to write makes sense in this
context but it would probably be reasonable to at least link to it
from somewhere on python.org or in the Python wiki.

As far as the categories on python.org:  They certainly can be changed,
though let's wait to see if this is even appropriate as a "success
story".

>> b) Is there a reStructuredText template for writing a success story?

There isn't a template but if you do decide to write it up as a success
story please structure the story similar to the others.  You can get at
the ReST formatted stories through the story distribution service:

http://pythonology.org/success&help=1

Here is an example:

http://pythonology.org/success&rst=gravityzoo&noheader=1

Stephan Deibel