[BangPypers] Suggestion for GUI

Narendra Sisodiya narendra at narendrasisodiya.com
Mon Jan 10 05:39:08 CET 2011

On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 7:55 AM, Pradeep Gowda <pradeep at btbytes.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 9, 2011 at 6:22 PM, Narendra Sisodiya
> <narendra at narendrasisodiya.com> wrote:
> > On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 3:54 AM, Vivek Khurana <hiddenharmony at gmail.com
> >wrote:

> http://www.riverbankcomputing.co.uk/static/Docs/PyQt4/pyqt4ref.html#licenseAll
> >> >

> >>  If you want the code to be in GPL, then where is the problem/confusion
> ?
> >>

> > Ok, So why that commercial license they have listed, for what purpose one
> > should need that license..?
> > I mean, I can code using PyQT and give to my customer and he can install
> all
> > the needed libraries..
>
> 1. Some companies don't want anything associated with with Free
> software, they would rather
> pay money to keep their entire software stack "clean".
>
> 2. Allows Riverbank to make money from users who want to ship closed
> source software developed
> using PyQt.

That's exactly I want to understand. Let take a fictitious example
I purchased a book on PyQt. I wrote an excellent close software which is
based on PyQt. I am start selling this proprietary software in market.
people started purchasing this software from my website. They download PyQT.
and they run my close software.
Now in this process, neither I no my customer paid any money to PyQT. So
this is OK or me or my customer are making copyright infringement.
I want to understand the benefit/advantage of buying commercial license for
PyQT.

> Actually, if you are keen on keeping the source code closed, you may
> want to look at PySide(http://www.pyside.org/)
> which is a Python binding to Qt from Nokia, the owners of QT, the
> company and brand.
> Pyside is LGPL[1] and also PySide is designed to be a drop-in
> replacement for PyQt.
>
> +PG
>
> [1] http://www.pyside.org/about/

│    Narendra Sisodiya