[Baypiggies] BayPIGgies name [was: April agenda?]

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu Apr 13 08:14:56 CEST 2006

Quoting Danny Yoo (dyoo at hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu):

> > I think not.
>
> Oh.  *runs to rapidly revise resume*
>
> In seriousness: when I'm mentioning BayPIGgies in official documentation,
> I've gone out of my way to spell it out as:
>
>      Bay Area Python Interest Group (BayPIGgies)
>
> because it seems nice to spell out acronyms, and because it isn't obvious
> at all that BayPIGgies is a programmer user group just from reading the
> acronym.  (Plus I thought that it was good English writing style to spell
> out acronyms when they're first introduced.)

I'm glad at least _one_ reader understood my point as intended.  For a
while, I was quite seriously wondering if shortage of sleep had
prevented me from being coherent.  (You might have noticed more than
my usual quota of typos.)  I mean no slight to anyone, in saying that,
and hope nobody will take it.  I just rose from a few hours of sleep,
and was going to double-check to see if I'd flubbed that post!

I was, actually, more than a bit perplexed at the original conundrum,
which one might paraphrase as "Bad things might happen if I put
'BayPIGgies' on my resume' -- which immediately made me think, quoting
the ancient technical support joke, "Well, Don't Do That, Then."

My point thus was not to belabour a problem, but rather to point out its
(happy) absence.

It's not even "Having to make up a false name" or any other such rot:
The acronym "PIG" is, well, an _acronym_:  It stands for a longer,
semantically equivalent phrase, nu?

I mean, I feel rather silly, even having to point that out.  Again, it
seems like the point is _so blindingly obvious_ that I can only hope
and guess that the matter under discussion is a coded disguise for some
other conflict that I'm entirely unaware of, since otherwise the issue
seems inordinately silly even for a user group dispute.

If it's merely Silly Season and I missed the memo, my apologies.