[Baypiggies] Voting for a new name

Deirdre Saoirse Moen deirdre at deirdre.net
Thu Apr 13 23:19:30 CEST 2006

On Apr 13, 2006, at 2:07 PM, Terry Carroll wrote:

> On Thu, 13 Apr 2006, Deirdre Saoirse Moen wrote:
>
>> The big issue, as you've stated, appears to be that you're taking out
>> your inability to communicate with your boss on a large group of
>> people who have no such issue.
>
> No.  The issue is some people really don't like the name, and are
> trying
> to determine whether that opinion is largely shared, and if so,
> what do do
> about it.

So far, per Marilyn's earlier post, 9 wanted to change, 14 didn't, 3
abstained, and fewer than 10% bothered to vote at all (over the past
30 hours). 2.8% of the list wants change.

Therefore, I'd argue that there isn't a compelling mandate for change.

> You're adding a layer of interpretation that can't fairly be
> ascribed to
> the people you're responding to.

It was a direct response to Marilyn's admission, and I think it was a
fair interpretation.

> If most people want the name to stay the same, it ought to stay the
> same.

See above.

> But I'm finding many of the posts from those who want the name to
> stay the
> same to be rather disrespectful and distasteful, to tell you the
> truth.

Personally, I'm finding the reasons people want to change the name,
well, peculiar. I mean, I could understand just not liking the name,
but people have been painting much broader brushes that seemed
disrespectful and illogical. Illogic tastes bad.

--
_Deirdre                                             http://deirdre.net