[Baypiggies] Some organizational tips

Dennis Reinhardt DennisR at dair.com
Fri Apr 14 00:00:01 CEST 2006

At 02:15 PM 4/13/2006, Brian Mahoney wrote:
>From: Walter Vannini
>(snip)
>
>... contacts the core group
>(NOT the general membership) to alert them to the problem.

My sources are:

         1) 3 times Chair of 5000 member Santa Clara Valley
                 IEEE computer Society
         2) Treasurer or Chair of Hot Chips 8 and ASPLOS II
                 IEEE Conferences
         3) Director and Board Chair of 1400 members
                 Association of Shareware Professionals

My experience is the same: general members are not generally involved in
operating questions.  The issue is when and how is the general membership
involved/contacted about passage of leadership?

I have seen many ways of handling it: (2) passed leadership primarily by
recruitment and appointment via existing volunteers.  I should note that
the person overseeing this activity was chosen in a general election with
genuine competing candidates.  (1) passed leadership primarily by vetting
among those involved and then conducting an election that was largely pro
forma in that there was a single named candidate vs "write-in"  (3)
Candidates were self-selected and a *real* election with statements and
competing discussion ensued.

In all cases, there was something called an "election" among the larger
membership.  Brian, I am sorry to hear you cannot make it tonight.  I was
inclined to pass up tonight's meeting myself.  But I will be there.  I
might end up as some sort of candidate.  At this point, I would like to
propose that anything proposed tonight be considered provisional, until
ratified by this list.

We have Aahz's guidelines for what it takes to secure passage and two
volunteers who have demonstrated polling/tallying capability.  In my
experience, a 1-year term of service works well: elections are held annually.

Regards, Dennis