[Baypiggies] Mapping/Random Access at tonight's meeting

Dennis Reinhardt DennisR at dair.com
Fri Apr 14 20:01:03 CEST 2006

At 12:42 AM 4/14/2006, you wrote:
>Dennis,
>
>[I think the mapping worked very well tonight. Awesome idea.

Thanks!  (mapping = rapid-fire, brief self-intros with no discussion,
allowing interested parties to seek you out in immediately following Random
Access session)

>we want to encourage newbies to introduce themselves and
>their interests

Several first time attendees picked up on what mapping was good for and
*did* make announcements.  I think seeing many people stand up, make their
announcements, and sit down (thank you) was context allowing them to speak
too.

I prefer not to set aside a separate newbie introduction time.  There is no
previous template for newbie to follow and little time to prepare.  You
either get formulific intros (I am Greg from Foster City ... I am Sheila
from Mountain view .... yeech) or meandering.

The HomeBrew experience is that everybody very quickly spins up to the same
level to figure out how to use mapping to make connections.

>There's only one issue: 8:30pm is probably too early ...
>So should we push to 9pm in future?

Our schedule is 7:30-9:00.  From our IronPort meeting, I saw that no one
left during mapping but some left immediately at beginning of random access
and several more stayed only a few minutes.  People stayed for mapping and
participated actively.

I feel we should budget 10 minutes mapping at IronPort and 15 at Google
with 5 minutes allowed for random access.  This 5 minutes allows someone to
make quick contact with 1 person and then still leave on time at
9:00.  Thus, IronPort Random Access should start at 8:45 (vs. 8:30 last
night) and Google start at 8:40.

I am reluctant to push random access start to 9:00.  That is extending the
length of the meeting.  IMO, the key to having better meetings is
preparation and thoughtful pacing, not by making them longer.