[Baypiggies] IDE demos

Marilyn Davis marilyn at deliberate.com
Mon Apr 17 04:35:25 CEST 2006

----- On Sunday, April 16, 2006 DennisR at dair.com wrote:

>>Do you want me to lead the random access part too?
>
> I would like to hang on to conducting mapping/random access or at least
> make it a distinct duty.  In this way, there is continuity in the
> expectations we have for this segment ... and a contact for inevitable
> improvement suggestions.

Good idea.

>>I can motivate collaborate with the other presenters to work out how
>>we will handle it.
>
> Good.  I makes sense to me that you be the technical moderator for this event.

Okie dokie.

>>I can start the meeting on time.
>
> It gets better and better :-).
>
>>How much time do we get?
>
> That is an IronPort night, so the prototype schedule would be
>
> 7:30 - 8:45 Event Program
> 8:45 - 9:00 Mapping/Random Access
>
> You would get 75 minutes.

*We* get 75 minutes.

>>I'm hoping for July at Google.  Is this possible?
>
> Hmmm... I missed this before.  My other comments were based on June at
> IronPort.  As far as I know June and July are both open at this point.  Do
> you still want July at Google?  Let's nail the date down.

July, Google, if no one objects.  The acoustics are not good at Ironport and it really matters to people who have a hearing disability.  I have only one working ear and the extra noise makes it difficult for me.  Since I will be responding to the audience, if I am having difficulty, the audience will be having difficulty too.  Let's avoid that embarrassment and frustration.

>>Is there anything else that needs doing?
>
> Yes.  This is an incomplete list based on what I know/can guess
>
> 1) You may need to arrange physical setup and especially audio-visual with
> speakers and JJ.

How does it happen at Google?  Do I need to help there?

> 2) I think we could benefit from an improved publicity process.  Look at
> the existing http://baypiggies.net web page.  Here is what is posted:
>
> Thursday, April 13, 2006
> Agenda: Book review and newbie questions
> Location: IronPort
> Level: all
> Speaker(s): JJ (Shannon Behrens)
> About the talk
> JJ will review "Professional Software Development"
> with discussion and newbiew questions afterward.
>
> This description needs to answer the question "Why would I want to drive or
> travel xx miles on a (rainy) night to attend this?".  It also needs to
> answer other questions but unless the "why" question is answered the other
> questions are irrelevant.
>
> In the IEEE Computer Society (pre-WWW), we had a paragraph on the speaker
> and a paragraph on the talk itself.  In Dennis Allison's excellent
> http://www.stanford.edu/class/ee380/ seminar series, speaker names,
> affiliations, and talk titles are listed in a clickable format linking to a
> speaker-provided description.  I suggest we move to the Stanford Model.

I suggest we follow your suggestion.

What I don't understand is, who is doing the web page?  I hope (we all hope) that I am not.

If each demonstrator provides a paragraph of text about herself, or himself, and a paragraph of text about the IDE, will that suffice?

Maybe Donna would like to use our material to make a web page and show her stuff?

> As a meeting organizer, I would ask that you pull together a one-page
> summary using the Stanford seminar clickable links for each talk as a
> model.  I think the URL should be frozen with at least initial content
> ideally 2 weeks prior and certainly 1 week prior to the meeting.

If we get the July date, we have plenty of time to get it right.

Thank you so much for coming forward with suggestions and organization Dennis.

Marilyn