[Baypiggies] Moving forward (was meetup ...)

Stephen McInerney spmcinerney at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 28 22:03:18 CEST 2006

Hi Marilyn,

>From: Marilyn Davis <marilyn at deliberate.com>

>And Stephen, please don't tell me what to talk about.  It will never work.
>
>And mentioning Paul's offer to give us pybay.xxx isn't just about a
>different name, it is about a web site that new volunteers can contribute
>to.  Dennis is using his own.

It seemed like proposing domain name change is a backdoor way of proposing
name change.
Unless you meant "regaining access to the baypiggies server", in which case
that intent was not stated. Was that your intent?
Re name: Many people have stated very strongly they do not want to discuss
changing the name,
and object to the list volume, to the point of unsubscribing - here are the
fairly strong survey comments on that matter:

1. The mailing list is far too noisy with silly junk like name changing.
Really, 50 messages in a day about chaning the name is just enough to make
anyone unsubscribe and not come to meetings because the people involved are
just too petty. Having been involved in other PIGs, BayPIGgies is a little
too busy-bodied without enough to show for all the accompanying anal
retention. This is why even though the Bay Area is home to many Python
luminaries, those people have a low level of engagement with BayPIGgies. If
someone has a talk to give, have a meeting. If not, don't worry about it.

2. TOO MUCH EMAIL GOING AROUND. CAN WE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE STOP IT!!!!!
This used to be a useful mailing list and I look forward to mails to this
list. NOT ANYMORE.

>Too much traffic?  I see that Aahz announces meetings to
>python-list at python.org and python-announce at python.org.  I can't think of
>another purpose for this list than to figure out face-to-faces and
>coordinate volunteers.  It seems that every other feasible purpose has
>another list.

You have seen the unsubscribe requests.

We only make <=3 announces a month, so a baypiggies-announce list could be a
great idea.
The group internal conversations about Python, interests and the group
itself are currently generating ~150 a mth.
I now read the list using the threaded mailman view:
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/baypiggies/2006-April/thread.html

Regards,
Stephen