[Baypiggies] Opinions on Pyrex vs. ctypes vs. SWIG and whatever else binds to dynamic/shared libs

Stephen McInerney spmcinerney at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 30 05:20:01 CET 2008

The "which wrapper to use?" design question was in fact one of the topics
of Damian Eads' paper at this year's SciPy 2008:
"First Time Experiences Using SciPy for Computer Vision Research"
http://conference.scipy.org/static/wiki/eads-cv.pdf

Not saying the paper was the definitive word on this subject, but
I thought it was a good paper and an interesting and topical application
area (satellite image analysis for nuclear non-proliferation) and a
SciPy newbie case study.

I suggested we should invite Damian to present at BayPIGgies sometime,
any comments?

In fact, many folks have experience on this question, it would make a great
topic for a presentation by multiple users sharing their viewpoints for different
domains (I haven't done this stuff so I can't comment myself;
The consensus answer as far as I can see seems to depend largely
on how robust and stable the wrapperized code is, how much type-safety
you need, exception-handling, how much control or visibility you have over
the underlying source etc...)

Stephen