[Baypiggies] newbie nugget
jim at well.com
Sat Nov 8 20:47:05 CET 2008
my preference is for discussion among bayPIGgies
members to settle on topics for meetings. after some
sense of concensus, a few of us can scramble to set
currently we have "doctest integration" as the
newbie nugget for november's meeting.
here's a list of suggestions we've gathered so far:
* Starting with pygame!
* using datetime
* using decimal
* using pytz
* file handling basics
* string formatting/templating
* Function decorators.
* List comprehensions.
* Generators and generator expressions.
* Function pointers and map.
* Using "else" with "for", "while", and "except".
* Using StringIO.
* Using IPython (and installing it with an egg).
* Using "try/finally" with file handles vs. using the "with" statement.
* Using lambda.
* Using IPython (and installing it with an egg)
* Using "try/finally" with file handles vs. using the "with" statement
* functional programming stuff like lambdas and higher order functions
* the new "nonlocal" declaration from PEP 3104
* the difference between nonlocal and global
* working through scoping and immutables
* an introduction to Nose
* "Python Code Unravelled": looking at Decorators, Method Dispatch, List
Comprehensions, and such as shorthands for longer Python code
here and there people have proposed topics for
a newbie nugget and then "taken it back" because
they want to develop it as a full-blown featured
one form of a helpful response would be along
the lines of "i wanna do <NEWBIE_NUGGET_TOPIC>
another helpful response would reflect your
enthusiasm (any valid integer could be accepted,
to be factored by the numbers of persons voting:
your +65537 for a topic might carry more weight
than someone's +3, but maybe not much more, and
lots of +1 votes for a topic would certainly weigh
more than one person's large integer).
On Sat, 2008-11-08 at 11:06 -0800, Donna Snow wrote:
> It was suggested at the World Plone Day event I held yesterday that a
> newbie nugget or lightning talk on the new features of Plone 3 might
> be accepted? It's been at least a year and a half since I did the
> Plone presentation/overview and much has happened since. When is the
> next newbie nugget day and/or when do you think we should fit this
> Baypiggies mailing list
> Baypiggies at python.org
> To change your subscription options or unsubscribe:
More information about the Baypiggies