[Baypiggies] M.I.T. to drop Scheme in favor of Python

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Fri May 29 22:03:22 CEST 2009

On Fri, May 29, 2009, David Knupp wrote:
> On Apr 6, 2009, at 9:31 AM, Aahz wrote:
>>
>> (There's a joke that writing a web framework is the Python equivalent
>> of working through SICP.)
>
> I remember this quip being posted to the list several weeks ago. Well,
> it turns out that it was prescient. M.I.T. has apparently made the
> historic decision to teach their introductory 6.001 course using
> Python instead of Scheme! (My apologies if this has been mentioned
> before, and I somehow missed it.)

Not sure whether it's been mentioned before here, but it earlier received
a lot of publicity in the larger Python community, and while I wasn't
thinking of it when I wrote my comment, I was certainly aware of it.

my-python-code-runs-5x-faster-this-month-thanks-to-dumping-$2K-
    on-a-new-machine-ly y'rs  - tim