[Baypiggies] Job "trial day"?

seth f sfseth at gmail.com
Fri Oct 21 23:09:11 EDT 2016

I don't think this practice is reasonable, nor do I think a "coding
challenge" is reasonable if the hiring company wants to retain rights to
the code that is produced.

If a hiring organization can't figure out whether or not they want you on
the team from phone calls and in-person interviews, I say they're not
working hard enough on figuring out how to interview candidates.  If I do
work that shows what I can do, that's not suddenly their property.

If one assumes that there is a huge variety of technologies we might have
experience with and what employers happen to have chosen, be it Docker,
Xen, Vmware, Jenkins/Hudson, Salt, Ansible, Puppet, chef, CFengine, fabric,
... I haven't even gotten into databases or OS's yet...  how is this
practice any different from treating a candidate pool as a freebie tutoring
session?   I mean I'm happy to talk about this stuff, but if it occupies
time where i'd otherwise be interviewing, and they're asking me to do it
for free, it seems like a pretty clear exploit to me.

~seth