[Catalog-sig] Withdrawing PEP 262

A.M. Kuchling amk@amk.ca
Sun, 13 Oct 2002 16:40:29 -0400

PEP 262 is a proposal for a database of installed Python packages.  I
wrote it as a step toward implementing automatic installation of
Python software.  After playing with Fink on MacOS X a bit, I've
decided to withdraw the PEP, because I now think that Python shouldn't
invent its own database; package handling and dependency tracking
should be the operating system's job.

Accordingly, I'm marking PEP 262 as 'Status: Deferred', and will
request that it be removed from consideration for Python 2.3.  If
someone else wants to work on it, feel free to take over the PEP and
resurrect it.

--amk