[Catalog-sig] pypi performance troubles, time to revisit?

Kumar McMillan kumar.mcmillan at gmail.com
Fri Apr 6 21:48:26 CEST 2007

Hello.
I keep getting "error: Download error: (54, 'Connection reset by
peer')" when running easy_install and a few days ago was getting very
slow response times.

Is it worth opening up this discussion again?
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/catalog-sig/2006-October/000957.html

Perhaps to organize some volunteer work?  Revisit the idea of
supporting mirrors?

To my limited knowledge of the system, it seems that at least a way to
cache an index of package links (not necessarily a two-way mirror)
would be beneficial because one could point easy_install at said local
index and, say, continuously run a test suite that wants to install
some fresh eggs upon each run.  All that without hitting pypi every
single time.

Kumar