[Catalog-sig] PyPI's external packages

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Sat May 14 05:09:45 CEST 2011

On 5/12/2011 11:57 AM, Tarek Ziadé wrote:
> Hey,
>
> I think some people are unaware of the fact that hosting themselves
> their packages can lead to problems when their websites are down.
>
> I'd like to propose these two very simple changes:
>
> - in packaging/distutils2, when the register command is called, just
> state that uploading the package would be a good idea  :)

That is an opinion, not a fact. For some circumstances, it may not be a
good idea.

This whole discussion seems to ignore the license issue. Last I knew,
PyPI would not accept uploads without agreeing to a license that some
people find obnoxious and unacceptible.

> - in pypi.python.org, on a project page that has no file uploaded, if
> the user connected is the project owner/maintainer, add a small
> message explaining why it's a good idea
>
> Maybe that could help reducing the number of external packages.

Perhaps someone should ask people why they do not upload.

--
Terry Jan Reedy