[CentralOH] Another entry for the ideal keyboard cult

Eric Floehr eric at intellovations.com
Wed Aug 28 14:06:13 CEST 2013

There has been some discussion at Python meetings about keyboards. For
programmers, a good keyboard is like a good pair of running shoes for a
runner.

There are a *lot* of bad keyboards out there, but there are also a lot of
good ones. It's funny that people balk at spending $100 for a keyboard but
buy a $100 pair of shoes... anyway, yes, I'm a bit of a keyboard snob after
having carpal tunnel symptoms and alleviating them by getting a Leopold
mechanical keyboard.

Jeff "Coding Horror" Atwood is also a member of the keyboard cult[1] and
just announced[2] a new keyboard in partnership with WASD yesterday, called
the CODE keyboard[3].

There are a few cool features of the keyboard that I hadn't seen often on
good mechanical keyboards:

1. It's lighted... yes, that's bling, but cool :-)

2. Multi-media keys (I currently map Ctrl-F# keys to play/pause/volume, for
example)

3. Dip switch configurability for different layouts (Dvorak, etc.) and
things like making Caps Lock the Ctrl key.

4. Windows logo key is blank :-).

4. Comes with a keycap puller (a nice touch).

Of course it has all the standards: Cherry MX (Clear) switches, steel
backplate, detachable USB, PS/2 adapter, 6-key (or N-key with PS/2)
rollover, available in tenkeyless or 104 key versions.

I know this sounds a bit "advertisey" but I really think a good keyboard is
a must for any professional programmer.

-Eric

[1] http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/2010/10/the-keyboard-cult.html

[2] http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/2013/08/the-code-keyboard.html