[DB-SIG] SQL statement parse for Oracle

Matthew T. Kromer matt@zope.com
Mon, 04 Feb 2002 09:12:17 -0500

M.-A. Lemburg wrote:

>.prepare() is not needed in the sense that you have to call it
>to execute SQL; .execute() will do the .prepare() for you.

For what it's worth, I make the DCOracle2 driver return the statement
type processed from prepare() and execute().  Many people find this
awkward as a result from execute() since they were expecting something
like number of lines processed (which instead is an attribute).
 However, its the only good way to figure out what the RDBMS thought of
the statement you sent in (was it a SELECT, INSERT, PL/SQL BEGIN, DML,
etc.).

--
Matt Kromer
Zope Corporation  http://www.zope.com/