[DB-SIG] reg cursor.fetchall()

Andy Todd andy47 at halfcooked.com
Thu Feb 16 01:40:43 CET 2006

Andy Todd wrote:
> python eager wrote:
>> Hi , This is my statment which will work fine. but the statment line is
>> long. How to split up these lines .
>>
>> *Code Snippet :*
>>
>> for PID,FIRSTNAME,MIDDLENAME,LASTNAME,
>> MARITALSTATUS,EMPLOYEESTATUS,NOD,SALARY,
>> POI,RADDRESS,OADDRESS,MNO,LNO,DOBD,DOBM,
>> DOBY,DOID,DOIM,DOIY,DOED,DOEM,DOEY in cursor.fetchall():
>>
>> Please help me
>>
>> regards
>> Python Eager

> The usual pattern is something like (untested, please ignore syntax errors);
>
>  >>> myCursor.execute("SELECT x,y,z FROM tablea")
>  >>> for row in cursor.fetchall():
> ...     print "Column x:", row[0]
> ...     print "y * z = %d" % (row[1] * row[2])
>
> e.g. return each row of your results into a tuple and then reference the
> individual elements by index.
>
> Sadly cx_Oracle doesn't offer different cursor classes like, for
> instance, MySQLdb;
>
> http://dustman.net/andy/python/MySQLdb_obsolete/doc/MySQLdb-4.html#usage
>
> So you can't refer to cursor results as dictionaries or other sequence
> types.
>
> Regards,
> Andy

Of course, two minutes with Google offers up a couple of alternatives
from the Python Cookbook. First, and along the sames lines as the
solutions provided by Andy and Carsten we have this recipe;

http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Python/Recipe/52293

Which I think is rather trumped by an alternative that uses Greg Stein's
dtuple[1] module;

http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Python/Recipe/81252

There's also a mention in the comments of the Opal Group's db_row
module[2].

[1] http://www.lyra.org/greg/python/dtuple.py
[2] http://opensource.theopalgroup.com/files/db_row.txt

Regards,