[DB-SIG] thoughts about OpenGIS extensions

Andy Dustman farcepest at gmail.com
Tue Oct 3 16:01:00 CEST 2006

On 10/3/06, Federico Di Gregorio <fog at initd.org> wrote:

> > I just downloaded it.  I'm mostly interested in seeing how you manage
> > to translate data from postgresql to the client program.  I mean: how
> > you recognize it's gis data and not just any blob...
>
> Because they are real types in PostgreSQL (one of the few backends out
> there that allows for user-defined types) and not just blobs of data.

FYI, they are also defined types in MySQL as well:

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/spatial-extensions.html

By default these would be returned as strings by MySQLdb, but you can
add support for them with a couple lines of Python code if you have a
function that does the necessary conversion into a Python type. (If
you know a good standard Python library that does this, I'll add
support. I looked into this once and didn't find a clear answer.)
--
This message has been scanned for memes and
dangerous content by MindScanner, and is