[Distutils] First steps with distutils...
Sat Sep 2 05:51:01 2000
Here is a list of things I've found while playing with the 0.9.2
I've also posted this to Greg directly, but on second
thought I think it might be worthwhile getting some feedback from
distutilers as well:
* distutils doesn't seem to like diretory names in MANIFEST
* the setup.py file itself is not included in the source
distribution per default (why not ?)
* bdist_wininst wants zlib but the installer has a note that
it is not using it anymore
* bdist_wininst fails with a setup.py file which does not
* bdist_rpm fails with an error in the rpm command (the source
rpm is built, but it fails to build to the binary rpm for
some reason -- it says, that it can't find the file ??);
do I need some new rpm release for this to work ?
* the bdist commands don't compile the .py files into .pyo
but this is needed in order to use them with python -O
* bdist (the dumb version) defaults to creating a tar.gz
archive which is relative to / -- it shouldn't use the
usr/local/ prefix to make the installation relocateable
(e.g. to install under /usr, /opt, /opt/local, etc.)
* how can I define the compiler settings for extension
compilation (it defaults to -m486 for RPMs -- -mcpu=pentium
would be more appropriate; default for standard bdist
seems to be -O2 and no architecture) ?
And a general question: how can I define which files are
documentation, examples and auxiliary files ?
More to come :-)
Python Pages: http://www.lemburg.com/python/