[Distutils] passing information in to setup.py

Zooko Zooko <zooko@zooko.com>
Wed Oct 31 10:46:34 2001

[please Cc: zooko@zooko.com in any replies, thanks!]

Hi folks!  I wanted my makefile to pass configuration options into the
invocation of setup.py and after reading the (very nice) distutils docs and not
seeing how to do it, I went ahead and passed the information in as extra
command line options and I edited the setup.py file to parse those options out
and then to remove them from sys.argv so that the normal distutils option
parser wouldn't choke on them.

This is soooo ugly that it must not be the right way to do it, but it works for
now.

You can see the results here:

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/mojonation/evil/common/crypto/Python/setup.py?rev=HEAD&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup

If you know of a better way to do it, or if you think my way is better than
none and you want to adopt it for standard distutils, then please let me know!

Thanks a million for distutils!  It is a wonderful tool.

Regards,

Zooko