[Distutils] setuptools: Utility of setup() arguments

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Wed Sep 7 01:21:28 CEST 2005

At 05:59 PM 9/6/2005 -0500, Ian Bicking wrote:
>Phillip J. Eby wrote:
>>Only that I personally found editing the files directly to be an enormous
>>pain.  :)
>
>Why?

Because I have to create a new file.  And if it's a new project, a
directory to go with it.  Adding arguments to setup() is much
easier.  Also, setup() arguments are somewhat easier to document.

>I'm a little wary of rewriting something that egg_info writes, because
>egg_info can rewrite it later.  But I suppose the command alias makes it
>into a single operation, so it doesn't seem as fragile.  Though one
>advantage of editing the files is that I could apply strict_requires to a
>tag and commit those changes, encapsulating the exact environment that was
>used when creating that tag.

If your command or commands use a configuration file, or store the info in
setup.cfg, you can still do that.