[Distutils] [Py2exe-users] Re: Getting tired with py2exe

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Wed Sep 21 21:49:05 CEST 2005

On 21-sep-2005, at 2:59, Phillip J. Eby wrote:

> <trimming a few lists from my reply>
>

> That leaves OS X, where I gather that convention and policy
> dictates that
> applications just be runnable without an install step.  There you can
> bundle all your eggs, and rely on the system Python, as long as
> it's recent
> enough.  Ideally, then, you need a wrapper for the "easy_install -ad"
> directory that makes one or more real OS X apps, in the way that
> setuptools
> makes .exe wrappers now.  (Only more complex, since all it really does
> right now is copy and rename a standard launcher .exe file.)

Relying on the system python might not be a smart thing to do. Apple
is taking backward compatibility seriously, but not always for the
unix-y bits. That may or may not include Python. It would be rather
annoying if an application did depent on the system python and Apple
decided to ship another release of python.

> So, it seems to me that if you can rely on Python and the stdlib,
> the scope
> of what a py2exe or py2app tool has to do in the setuptools context
> is at
> least somewhat reduced.  However, there's definitely a need for other
> developers to be involved, because with my current amount of spare
> time,
> it'll be a year or two before I could even think about doing anything
> py2app-ish.  (I don't even have a Mac yet, for example.)

Building something py2app-ish is easy enough: take py2app and hack it
until it fits into your scheme. I've done this at work to build
standone unix daemons and that wasn't very hard.

Ronald