[Distutils] python eggs and lxml

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Sat Sep 24 16:56:51 CEST 2005

At 11:37 AM 9/24/2005 +0200, M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
>I'd suggest you take a look at mxSetup.py which is included
>in all recent egenix-mx-* packages. The egenix-mx-experimental
>package makes heavy use of its features to build and include
>external libs.
>
>For the latest version, see:
>
>http://www.egenix.com/files/python/egenix-mx-base-2.1.0-2005-05-01.zip

Wow.  That's pretty impressive.  I'm definitely going to steal some ideas
from that for setuptools, especially the flag to indicate that an extension
is optional; I could really use that for certain of my packages.

I had already been thinking of adding a facility to build_ext to look for
needed includes and libraries, but you've certainly put more thought into
it than I have so far.