[Distutils] PyPI Data Synchronizer

ssteinerX@gmail.com ssteinerx at gmail.com
Sun Dec 27 23:07:51 CET 2009

On Dec 27, 2009, at 2:34 PM, Lennart Regebro wrote in Re: [Distutils] How Python can have CPAN.:

> I attached the file I used for the mirroring.

Cool.  I'll just integrate it with the current version of the PyPI version extractor from the distutilsversion project and upload it to PyPI as a new project.

I'll make sure to put up a usable client class that pulls from the stored version and updates it, with appropriate caching similar to what you did in your code (and the way that I did it in my version as well).

That way, anyone wishing to write a tool has a drop-in class that will use minimal resources to get a full copy of the PyPI data.

I'll put a copy on one of our servers, set a sync job to run every day then push the result to S3.

I'll publish the URL on this list (once, it won't change).

Feel free to put a link to it from the PyPI site, and anyone needing the data can just pull it from there, presumably using the supplied class.

I'll probably start this tonight, I'll post it as soon as it's working.