[Distutils] Finishing PEP 345 - Code-repository field

David Lyon david.lyon at preisshare.net
Wed Dec 30 05:29:35 CET 2009

Hi Tarek,

There's one final field that I think that we need and that's
to be able for a software releaser to specify a code-repository
feed source.

It's different than a download url, which may point to
a software 'release'.

The code repository is a changing feed source for software
updates and is most likely to be cvs, svn, bzr or hg based
link.

In this way, it makes it possible to have package updating
in place to keep python code up to date, if that is the
users wish.

Of course, it is up to the user to install whatever SCM
system that is necessary for the update function.

The value of the code-repository field would be prefixed
with cvs:, svn:, bzr: or hg: or whatever SCM prefix is
used. It should never be allowed to be a http: or ftp:
link.

What this allows a user to do, is more easily install
code from the various software repositories that we
find dotted all over the internet these days.

They're more fluid than 'download' links and better
suited to the distribution of 'code', as in python
code.

David