[Distutils] zc.buildout 'extends' options

Martin Aspeli optilude+lists at gmail.com
Sat Jan 17 12:56:08 CET 2009

Hi Jim & co,

Plone 3.2 currently distributes its packages as eggs, and people use an
'extends' option with a remote URL to get a known good set for each
version, e.g.:

  [buildout]
  extends = http://dist.plone.org/release/3.2/versions.cfg

This is similar to how Grok does its distributions, of course.

Now, as far as I can tell, this doesn't work offline. -o mode does not
complain, but if you're totally offline (turn off your network
interface), then urllib throws an error when buildout tries to evaluate
the 'extends' option, and buildout crashes completely.

I'd like to have an optional download cache directory, e.g.

  [buildout]
  extends-cache = extends-cache-directory
  extends = http://dist.plone.org/release/3.2/versions.cfg

In offline mode, buildout would look for the file to extend (probably
with some hash of the url used as filename) in the directory specified
by extends-cache.

This would allow full offline mode (e.g. on a machine with no network
card configured). In particular, it would allow Plone's buildout-based
installers to ship with the versions.cfg file and not require people to
be able to download them.

Is this desirable? Any plans for such a feature? Would you accept a
patch, if we could make it work?