[Distutils] Extending distutils with a package in site-packages?

Akira Kitada akitada at gmail.com
Wed Jan 21 23:42:37 CET 2009

Hi,

I'm trying to write a module 'mydistutils', an extension to original distutils.
I would like to make it distutils-compatible so that user of the
module use mydistutils interchangeably.
The only difference between them would be the addition of
'MyDistribution' and 'bdist_mycmd'.
Because I don't want to mess up my python installation, It want to put
all of those extension parts in site-packages/.
But if I do that way, I cannot do "from mydistutils import core" or
the like because mydistutils is in different package...
Is there any pythonic tips for dealing this problem?
I'd like to keep it simple, so setuptools-free solution would be preferable

Thanks,