[Distutils] GUI for Python package Management - Right way to install packages?

David Lyon david.lyon at preisshare.net
Fri Jan 30 13:57:27 CET 2009

Hi All,

I seem to have a prototype gui of some description running based
around the PyPiXmlRpc

Using that code I can locate packages, but not install or download
them.... (strange - incomplete api i guess)

Anyway, now I need a foolproof/pre-existing way to download and
install modules.

This following script seems to pop up as being a good one to
use:

http://peak.telecommunity.com/dist/ez_setup.py

One good (?) thing is that it seems to resolve package dependencies.

but... my question is... is it "right" ? as far as distutils
and the general python programming community is concerned?

Instead of this, is there even a "right-way" or "better way"?

David