[Distutils] [Python Language Summit] Distutils / Packaging survey

Floris Bruynooghe floris.bruynooghe at gmail.com
Sat Jan 31 17:58:47 CET 2009

On Sat, Jan 31, 2009 at 10:37:56AM -0500, P.J. Eby wrote:
> At 05:40 PM 1/31/2009 +0900, David Cournapeau wrote:
>> But you mostly do not need to care, as a developer: .py files would be
>> considered as data files, extensions as arch-dependent, etc...
>
> If this is true, then there's no need to distinguish between .py files
> and any other data files - they both belong in /share to begin with, not
> in /lib.  Or else they ALL belong in /lib.  The entire "FHS demands they
> be split" concept is wrong from the get-go, under that interpretation.

I don't think trying to split off .py and .so files is a good idea.
Python will just break because of namespace package issues etc.  I
recon all .py/.pyc/.pyo/.so/.pyd files should be treated as arch
dependent, and other data files like templates and INI files or
anything else you have should be tagged as data files.  Then there's
of course tagging things as binaries, documentation, configuration
and state files etc.

Regards
Floris

--
Debian GNU/Linux -- The Power of Freedom