[Distutils] Colour this bikeshed: Name for setuptools fork

Hanno Schlichting hanno at hannosch.eu
Sun Jul 19 01:05:03 CEST 2009

On Sat, Jul 18, 2009 at 9:50 PM, P.J. Eby<pje at telecommunity.com> wrote:
> Also, this entire discussion may be moot if, as I'm currently understanding
> it, this is simply a matter of other people doing maintenance and bug fixes
> to the 0.6 branch...  in which case there is a very strong possibility that
> I'll just bless various versions of it as official 0.6 versions of
> setuptools.
>
> (One obstacle to this actually happening, though, is the part where they're
> stripping out my release tools, like wikiup.cfg, version+version.dat, etc.,
> as I would need to add these back in order to actually do a release.)

In order to make it easier for you to bless things, I created a branch
of our work, which very closely resembles the official setuptools 0.6
branch, including the correct distribution name and including all your
build and release tools.

It's a "hg up -C setuptools-compatible-0.6" away after cloning the
repo. It does need some more tweaks to version identifiers (is it 0.6
or 0.6.0 or 0.6-final ...) and lacks the md5 checksums for release
files, since these are obviously not produced yet.

I'd be happy to produce the Windows binary installers for an official release.

I'm sure we do have some disagreements about how to evolve setuptools
after the 0.6 branch. But our ideas of what is appropriate for
maintenance releases seem to match quite well.

Cheers,
Hanno