[Distutils] Adding entry points into Distutils ?

P.J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Tue May 5 03:02:23 CEST 2009

At 06:57 PM 5/4/2009 -0500, Ian Bicking wrote:
>* I'm uncomfortable with the way entry points are scanned.  I
>haven't looked close enough to back it up with numbers, but I think
>there's a noticeable performance degradation when the number of
>installed packages becomes large.  (Given the algorithm this would
>be expected.)

It's linear in the number of entry_points.txt files, yes, but in most
apps it should occur at most once, since pkg_resources has a single
WorkingSet object holding Distribution objects which cache their
entry point data upon first access.

There are all sorts of ways you could make different tradeoffs, but
this particular set of tradeoffs was optimized for a
single-application environment, rather than a massive global shared
site-packages where there are plugins for every application on the
system.  It was also optimized for the zipimport case, because you
can tell whether a project has entry points from its cached zip
directory, that's needed at startup anyhow.