[Distutils] Problem using zc.recipe.cmmi to build Python

Kent Tenney ktenney at gmail.com
Sat Oct 3 13:54:24 CEST 2009

Howdy,

In pursuit of a buildout for my core environment, I try the following:

[python-2.6.3]
recipe = zc.recipe.cmmi
url = http://www.python.org/ftp/python/2.6.3/Python-2.6.3rc1.tgz

make fails with
ImportError: No module named cStringIO
because ./configure creates a Modules/Setup which says
#cStringIO cStringIO.c

if I uncomment that line the make is fine.

I haven't found a way to tell $:./configure or $:make to do that,
zc.recipe.cmmi doesn't seem to provide a hook between configure and make.

If someone can tell me to fix this with options or environment I'm done.

If not, I welcome advice on alternatives to zc.recipe.cmmi,
(which I would consider the 'standard' solution.(darn you Shuttleworth
for co-opting the word 'canonical' :-)))

- comb through the many xx.xx.cmmi recipes
  (without a sense of associated quality or support level)

- pick a xx.xx.command recipe and write a part which does what I want

- write my own 'recipe.build-interp'

Thanks,
Kent