[Distutils] Package install failures in 2.6.3 - setuptools vs Distribute

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Tue Oct 6 07:43:54 CEST 2009

On 5 Oct, 2009, at 16:37, K. Richard Pixley wrote:

> Ronald Oussoren wrote:
>> This is a problem, it means 2.6.3 is not a simple drop-in
>> replacement for 2.6.2 but requires the replacement of another
>> component as well.  That can be a problem in organizations with
>> strict configuration management where you cannot install new
>> software without going to lots of red tape (and that might involve
>> lawyers when you install a new package instead of upgrading an
>> existing one).
> This would be a problem if distribute were in general release.  It's
> not.  It's clearly a development branch which is intended to move
> quickly.  People using distribute are taking development, pre-alpha
> kinds of risk and that has been made pretty clear already.

AFAIK distribute 0.6 is a stable release, basicly "setuptools 0.6c9 +
bugfixes + py3k support".

Installing distribute is therefore not problematic for most people, if
they know that the project exists.  The fact that distribute is a
seperate project from setuptools can be a problem for people:
installing a bugfix release for a software product that we're already
using at work is significantly easier than introducing a new software
product.

Ronald