[Distutils] Packaging Distribute

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Fri Oct 9 00:03:37 CEST 2009

On Thu, Oct 08, 2009 at 11:07:13PM +0200, Arfrever Frehtes Taifersar Arahesis wrote:
> 2009-10-04 23:52:25 Sridhar Ratnakumar napisał(a):
> > On Sun, 04 Oct 2009 13:41:06 -0700, Tarek Ziadé <ziade.tarek at gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > The other way would be to use Distribute instead of Setuptools for
> > > what the packaging system is calling "setuptools". That's pretty
> > > much what is happening in Gentoo (arch) and UHU-Linux (dev),
> > > right now
> >
> > Interesting. Gentoo uses distribute but retains the name 'setuptools'?
>
> It's because Distribute 0.6.* installs setuptools.* modules.
> Distribute 0.7.* will be under name dev-python/distribute.

I started thinking about what it might take to do this for Fedora as well.
There's a number of worries I have but it sounds attractive because of the
increased maintainence support from distribute's upstream.

An alternative I thought of would be for us to ship both distribute-0.6 and
distribute-0.7 (when it arrives) and parallel install them.  Then we can
patch the setuptools using packages we maintain to check first for the 0.6
distribute and fall back on setuptools if it's not found.  That would
hopefully get a bunch of upstreams onto a better supported code base.

My question is: will Distribute have a parallel installation plan?  For
instance, renaming the module provided by 0.7 distribute2?  If so, this
makes a lot of sense.  If not, it's the ability of gentoo to reuse the
setuptools name that makes parallel installation of distribute-0.6 and
distribute-0.7 easier.

-Toshio