[Distutils] Alternate static metadata PEP submission...

David Cournapeau david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Wed Oct 14 05:10:48 CEST 2009

Ian Bicking wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 6:36 PM, Floris Bruynooghe
> <floris.bruynooghe at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> To me it would seem a little early to start a PEP like this, there's
>> been virtually no discussion about this particular proposal nor any
>> proof of concept code.  And given the scope of wanting to change the
>> entire way build-steps are declared some code that can give experience
>> and show the good and bad points seems important to me.
>>

> Could an example API be encapsulated in something like this in setup.py?
>
>   from test_this_pep import setup_cfg
>   setup(other args, **setup_cfg())
>
> Then packages could be converted to test it out, without breaking the package.

This would work for the parts which are concerned using static metadata
for what exists in distutils, but it would not work for pre_install,
etc... The only way I can think to make this work is to actually
generate a setup.py (or in the other direction, to generate a setup.info
from setup.py). I think it is much better long-term solution for a
'distutils  v2' than trying to fix the existing code, but it is
certainly a lot of work,

David