[Distutils] Proposal for Distribute 0.7

Reinout van Rees reinout at vanrees.org
Sat Oct 17 02:10:07 CEST 2009

On 2009-10-16, P.J. Eby <pje at telecommunity.com> wrote:
> At 10:46 AM 10/16/2009 -0400, ssteinerX at gmail.com wrote:
>>
>>This is not designed by any objective standard I'd use.
>
> You are correct; setuptools itself was not particularly
> designed.  Eggs are, entry points are, a few other odds and ends were
> designed, but setuptools itself (and *especially* easy_install) are a
> collection of hacks upon hacks, mostly done in a rush to get
> something out the door...  which as soon as it became popular, locked
> into a cycle of not having enough time to do improvements, because
> maintenance was taking so much time.

Ah, the perils of success :-)  And you've had a lot of success with it.  I
still remember the more-or-less painful days of having to extract and install
everything by hand.

And I remember being yealous at perl's "oh, just install x y and z" dependency
handling experience.

Hurray for having eggs, pypi and friends!

Reinout

--
Reinout van Rees - reinout at vanrees.org - http://reinout.vanrees.org
Software developer at http://www.thehealthagency.com