[Distutils] Distribute 0.6.1 released

Zooko Wilcox-O'Hearn zooko at zooko.com
Sat Sep 12 01:21:48 CEST 2009

On Tuesday,2009-09-08, at 15:46 , Tarek Ziadé wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 8, 2009 at 11:20 PM, Tarek Ziadé<ziade.tarek at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> Hello
>>
>> I am happy to announce the release of Distribute 0.6.1.
>>
>> Changes:
>>
>> * zip_ok is now True by default.
>
> I mean False of course ;)

But wait, "zip_ok" is a flag on a package which tells whether this
package has something in it that breaks when loaded from a .zip
file.  My proposal in http://bugs.python.org/setuptools/issue33 was
*not* to make zip_ok default to False, but instead to make
always_unzip default to True!  always_unzip is a flag in your system
which tells whether you want to unzip packages when installing them.
I guess I don't precisely *object* to setting zip_ok to default
False, at least for now, but I prefer setting always_unzip to default
to True.  Some people might like to configure their local system to
install packages zipped unless that package says that it won't work
that way.

Regards,

Zooko