[Distutils] setup.cfg new format proposal

David Lyon david.lyon at preisshare.net
Wed Sep 16 01:52:01 CEST 2009

On Tue, 15 Sep 2009 16:46:59 +0100, Floris Bruynooghe
<floris.bruynooghe at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 05:14:58PM +0200, Tarek Ziadé wrote:
>> Also, I've just realized that uname() is a tuple, so I need to flatten
>> it in strings to restrict the grammar:
>>
>> - os_sysname
>> - os_nodename
>> - os_release
>> - os_version
>> - os_machine
>
> When I asked for this I was imagening (wrongly) way more to go in
> setup.cfg then just the meta-data.  To be honest in that case I don't
> think I've got a use for os.uname() to be available.  While nothing is
> wrong with having it, if no one else thinks they need it maybe it's
> unnecessary complication?

I think it is an unneccessary complication.

And imo the discussion has gone way off track..

The use case isn't abstract. All this discussion is about trying
to rewrite two lines of code.

-- setup.py --
"""
    if sys.platform == 'win32':
        setup.dependencies.add('win32com','162')

    setup()

"""

That would be the simplest way to do it in code.

It appears as if "if sys.platform == 'win32':"
is an evil line of code - that certain people
want to go to great lengths to stomp out.

It's one line of code for crying out loud...

We don't need a mini-language just because we
don't like writing it the shortest way...

talk about platform bias gone utterly crazy...

David