[Distutils] Buildout + namespace packages + Django management commands?

Lennart Regebro regebro at gmail.com
Sun Sep 20 10:56:34 CEST 2009

2009/9/20 Kyle MacFarlane <kylemacfarlane at gmail.com>:
> I was hoping more if anybody knew a recipe to get round my problem but
> I had a look inside Django to see how it looks through packages.
>
> The problem is caused by line 58 at this link raising an ImportError:
> http://code.djangoproject.com/browser/django/trunk/django/core/management/__init__.py

Yeah, sorry. You can either use Django, or not use namespaces, or fix Django. :)
Django simply doesn't support namespaces in this case. Yet another
case of Django being the new Zope, although Zope has fixed that
problem since a couple of years, and Zope Products can be namespace
packages nowadays (and the special Products directory is now a
namespace).

This all is a part Djangos biggest problem: It doesn't play well with
non-Django stuff. They are however aware of this problem, and I'm sure
they would appreciate help with fixing this particular issue. In open
source it's all a matter of available programmer time. :)

http://regebro.wordpress.com/
+33 661 58 14 64