[Distutils] setup.cfg new format proposal

David Lyon david.lyon at preisshare.net
Mon Sep 21 07:11:16 CEST 2009

On Sun, 20 Sep 2009 23:58:06 -0400, "P.J. Eby" <pje at telecommunity.com>
wrote:
>>If you are saying that Python observes all microsofts
>>recommendations under windows and is "well-behaved" I think
>>I'd have some comments about that.
>>
>>"Well behaved" is installing a python program to "Program Files"
>>but distutils doesn't allow this to my knowledge.
>
> It most certainly does; but not in a bdist_wininst or bdist_msi
> (AFAIK), and definitely not by default.  You'd need to specify the
> location on the command line.

I don't know if you have checked lately but not many windows users
these days even know what a command line even is.

It's just plain unreasonable to expect windows users to resort to a
command line in this day and age.

> You are misrepresenting my statements.  I have neither called it dead
> nor ..

Ok. Fine.

But expecting windows users to remember commandlines *is* dead.

And everything you wrote has confirmed that python package installation
under windows *is* "not well behaved". Be it command-line installation,
or bdist_wininst/bdist_msi not working properly.

Anyway, windows is just an 'edge-use-case'. So lets not worry.

David