[Distutils] bdist_deb in stdeb

Andrew Straw strawman at astraw.com
Mon Sep 28 20:53:22 CEST 2009

Gerry Reno wrote:
> Olof Bjarnason wrote:
>>
>>> Ok, the commands behave like makefile rules, once run they don't run
>>> again.
>>> But there are still several issues here:
>>>
>>> Remember that I said that my goal with 'bdist_deb' was for users to
>>> have a
>>> SINGLE command to generate a .deb.
>>>
>>> What needs to be achieved is for a command like this:
>>> $ python setup.py  bdist_deb
>>> OR
>>> $ python setup.py  bdist_deb
>>> --ignore-single-version-externally-managed
>>>
>>> to be possible.  'bdist_deb' would call sdist_dsc internally with the
>>> necessary args WITHOUT having to explicitly put 'sdist_dsc' on the
>>> command
>>> line.
>>>

>> This would be _exactly_ what I'm looking for :)
>>

> I know.  I've had many of my users requesting exactly the same thing
> as well and I've been pursuing this for months now and when I got a
> 'bdist_deb' working with stdeb I knew I was getting close.  It just
> needs a little more tweeking and I think we'll have it.  Let's wait
> and see what Andrew says here.
I don't understand what you're waiting on me for at this point.

Olaf -- as I understand it -- you need to work with Ubuntu 9.04. I just
released stdeb 0.4 which supports this "bdist_deb" and doesn't pass the
--single-version-externally-managed option anyway and therefore doesn't
support the "--ignore-single-version-externally-managed" option. I don't
understand why you need to pass
"--ignore-single-version-externally-managed". "python setup.py
bdist_deb" should work for you. Please report with specific information
about expected and actual behavior if things are not working to your
desire (taking care to read the, admittedly minimal, documentation in
README.rst).

Gerry -- I don't understand why you want to subvert the normal distutils
way of doing things. Passing arguments to bdist_deb that are really
arguments to sdist_dsc just isn't the way distutils does things. You're
asking for the equivalent of being able to pass arguments to the
distutils install command that are ultimately intended for the distutils
build_ext command. If you want to test (and possibly implement)
functionality such as adding a [sdist_dsc] section to setup.cfg where
these options could just live so that you don't need to pass arguments
at the command line, thats would be welcome.

Gerry, point 2 -- I still think you're not looking at your own big
picture here -- AFAIK, you are bending over backwards to attempt to pass
the "--ignore-single-version-externally-managed" so that you don't have
to import setuptools in your setup.py file to avoid the monkeypatching
that setuptools does. But, setuptools is explicitly imported in the
debian/rules files created in stdeb 0.3.x. I get the impression that
you're fixated on this argument passing business and not looking at the
bigger picture of the architecture involved and whether your ultimate
goal is even achievable with stdeb 0.3.x.

-Andrew