[Distutils] bdist_deb in stdeb

Andrew Straw strawman at astraw.com
Mon Sep 28 21:59:53 CEST 2009

Gerry Reno wrote:
> Andrew Straw wrote:
>> Gerry Reno wrote:

>>> I know.  I've had many of my users requesting exactly the same thing
>>> as well and I've been pursuing this for months now and when I got a
>>> 'bdist_deb' working with stdeb I knew I was getting close.  It just
>>> needs a little more tweeking and I think we'll have it.  Let's wait
>>> and see what Andrew says here.
>>>
>> I don't understand what you're waiting on me for at this point.
>>
>> Olaf -- as I understand it -- you need to work with Ubuntu 9.04. I just
>> released stdeb 0.4 which supports this "bdist_deb" and doesn't pass the
>> --single-version-externally-managed option anyway and therefore doesn't
>> support the "--ignore-single-version-externally-managed" option. I don't
>> understand why you need to pass
>> "--ignore-single-version-externally-managed". "python setup.py
>> bdist_deb" should work for you. Please report with specific information
>> about expected and actual behavior if things are not working to your
>> desire (taking care to read the, admittedly minimal, documentation in
>> README.rst).
>>
>> Gerry -- I don't understand why you want to subvert the normal distutils
>> way of doing things. Passing arguments to bdist_deb that are really
>> arguments to sdist_dsc just isn't the way distutils does things.
> Please explain this then.  Why EVEN bother to call 'sdist_dsc' from
> within 'bdist_deb' if you cannot somehow pass arguments to the
> internal 'sdist_dsc' call?
You can. "python setup.py commandA --option-for-command-A commandB
--option-for-command-B". This is just how distutils works. This is not
an stdeb issue. If you don't need to pass options to commandA, but
commandA is still a sub-command of commandB, then commandA will still
get called, just without any options. As I said, you can also pass
options by placing them in the appropriate setup.cfg location.

For example:

python setup.py build_py --build-lib=zzz bdist_dumb

is exactly equivalent to

python setup.py bdist_dumb

with if setup.cfg file contains:

[build_py]
build-lib=zzz

Because build_py A) is a sub-command of bdist_dumb and therefore gets
run and B) picks up its options using the standard distutils mechanisms,
either from the command line or setup.cfg.

>> You're
>> asking for the equivalent of being able to pass arguments to the
>> distutils install command that are ultimately intended for the distutils
>> build_ext command. If you want to test (and possibly implement)
>> functionality such as adding a [sdist_dsc] section to setup.cfg where
>> these options could just live so that you don't need to pass arguments
>> at the command line, thats would be welcome.
>>
>> Gerry, point 2 -- I still think you're not looking at your own big
>> picture here -- AFAIK, you are bending over backwards to attempt to pass
>> the "--ignore-single-version-externally-managed" so that you don't have
>> to import setuptools in your setup.py file to avoid the monkeypatching
>> that setuptools does.
> Stop. NO.  IF I import stdeb in the setup.py THEN any local distutils
> install class gets an error:
> --single-version-externally-managed not recognized (or something
> similar).
So why don't you just derive from setuptools' install command (rather
than distutils' install command) if you insist on using stdeb 0.3? I
think this will solve all your problems in a much simpler way.

> The only way to get by this is by passing in the NEW option that I
> made, '--ignore-single-version-externally-managed' which removes this
> option from the install command which then allows the install to
> succeed.   This is because it looks like stdeb hijacks the distutils
> install command.

I have yet to see a working patch that I can actually test that backs up
your assertion. As it is, I simply don't believe you because the
debian/rules created by stdeb 0.3 not only passes that option, but it
also explicitly imports setuptools. The setuptools install command does
know the --single-version-externally-managed option. (I think in your
memory of what worked, you are forgetting that you also removed the
"import setuptools".)

-Andrew