[Distutils] `setup.py register` can't create PyPI account.

Jeremy Kloth jeremy.kloth at gmail.com
Tue Jul 13 01:09:56 CEST 2010

On Monday, July 12, 2010 04:15:26 pm Tarek Ziadé wrote:
> 2010/7/13 "Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de>:
> >> Why is that ? This used to work, IIRC. This is a regression on PyPI
> >> side (checkbox added afaik), and needs  to be fixed.
> >
> > How would you propose to fix this?
>
> A quick hack is to look at the user agent (urllib2) and remove your
> checkbox in this case.
> A cleaner step would be to remove this and create a new UI page to
> register the users
> from within the web version, and change the human links in your web app.

There is the problem, then, of updating the client software (distutils) to
perform the function for why the checkbox was added in the first place.

It is possible that the checkbox was added in response to legal issues (just
guessing, as it happened around the same time as other legal questions).
Then, IMO, it is required to break (or update) existing client code.

> >> We could think about deprecating it maybe, but we cannot break all
> >> existing python versions with a change in the PyPI UI like that...

You need to know the reason for the addition before coming to conclusions.

> Are you really expecting me to remove silently this feature from all
> python versions documentation and tell people it's not a serious
> problem ?

If lawyers are involved, there is little to be done.

Jeremy Kloth