[Distutils] PEP 405 (Python Virtual Environments) - some input needed

Vinay Sajip vinay_sajip at yahoo.co.uk
Tue May 1 13:19:14 CEST 2012

As we get ever closer to the Python 3.3 beta, we need to ensure that all the
functionality we'd like to see in 3.3 is ready for inclusion.

One set of functionality is built-in virtual environments, as proposed by PEP
405 (Python Virtual Environments). There's a reference implementation [1], which
seems to work pretty well; but the PEP has some open issues which someone on
this list may be able to comment on. I'm particularly interested to hear what
functionality is needed in the area of include files for C extensions. If you
could look at the open issue on this [2] and give some feedback, that would be
great. If you have the time to check out the reference implementation as a
whole, then general comments on that would also be much appreciated - for
example, it contains (though not part of PEP 405) packaging-related
enhancements, e.g. code to handle extensible categories for setup.cfg
(http://bugs.python.org/issue12393) and script generation
(http://bugs.python.org/issue12394).

Thanks and regards,

Vinay Sajip