[Distutils] packaging in python 3.3 (was Re: command hooks...)

Chris McDonough chrism at plope.com
Sun May 13 20:45:53 CEST 2012

On 05/01/2012 12:40 PM, Chris McDonough wrote:

> Georg Brandl was trying to herd cats on outstanding PEPs today:
>
> http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2012-May/119157.html
>
> Is there a PEP for the "packaging" package? Is there any sort of
> unfinished business I can help with?

Let's try this again.  If distutils2/packaging is meant to actually be
part of Python 3.3, I think it needs some documentation and
implementation loving.  Is there a list of outstanding issues that need
resolution?  I'm willing to row on them, but I need some direction.

I can't really see packaging being included in Python 3.3 without a good
bit of work being put into it.  Am I mistaken?

- C