[Distutils] PEP 426, round 733 ;)

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Tue Feb 5 09:08:54 CET 2013

On 4 Feb, 2013, at 20:59, Antonio Cavallo <a.cavallo at cavallinux.eu> wrote:

> > Because the version number is just more complicated? The details have been ...
>
> Nope, the whole point is it shouldn't. If that has to be enforced why adding "marketing alert" to it? Why choosing something complex over something simple?
>
> In the correct world (mine where unicorns live freely) I should be able to retrieve the code that goes with an installed package just using that version and rebuild it (in a repeatable way)!
>
> Or you're talking about a "label" instead a version? In which case you shouldn't really compare them!

I'm talking about version numbers in the real world and those just aren't that simple. The scheme described in the PEP is fairly complex, but as Nick mentioned not all features will be used at the same time. The scheme also gives a clear and sane meaning to almost all version numbers actually used on PyPI, please check the archives to see the discussions that led to this PEP.

That doesn't mean that the documentation can't nudge users towards a simple major.minor[.micro] scheme, possibly referencing semantic versioning.

Ronald