[Distutils] [buildout] weird behaviour with system-installed packages and cross-buildout contamination

Chris Withers chris at python.org
Wed Feb 13 14:55:50 CET 2013

On 13/02/2013 09:40, Reinout van Rees wrote:
> On 13-02-13 10:15, Chris Withers wrote:
>> You're ignoring these lines in setup.py:
>>
>> https://github.com/Simplistix/testfixtures/blob/py3k/setup.py#L16
>
> You're right, I missed that part.
>
> I tried your buildout with a 2.0 bootstrap and I did get a bin/nosetests.

There was a reason my original posting was so long...

> My guess is that the .installed.cfg somehow interferes. I've never
> really trusted that one and I never looked into how it worked.

Indeed, but we don't have any choice, do we?

> Chris, does it work for you if you start from scratch in an empty dir?
> Your jenkins output seems to suggest that you let jenkins create a fresh
> empty dir for you, so it *should* work...

The problem I was talking about in this thread is not jenkins-related.
And yes, as I said in the original posting, a git clean -fxd followed by
re-bootstrapping solves the problem.

> (Unrelated: you're using nose-cov; I can now get a similar coverage
> output out of nose itself, so the nose-cov functionality is probably
> included in recent nose releases. Great to get that coverage feedback
> right in your face after running the tests :-) )

I don't think the built-in support works well with newest coverage
releases and doesn't spit out xml compatible with the cobertura plugin
for Jenkins.

cheers,

Chris

             - http://www.simplistix.co.uk