[Distutils] Replacing pip.exe with a Python script

Vinay Sajip vinay_sajip at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Jul 16 00:21:56 CEST 2013

Paul Moore <p.f.moore <at> gmail.com> writes:

> I think I'm coming to the conclusion that the best way forward is:
> 1. Continue using the setuptools exe launcher, but bundle our own copy.

Wouldn't that be the case with a bundled setuptools/pip anyway? The launcher
executables are part of setuptools AFAIK.

> 2. Modify setup.py to install our own scripts run via the exe launcher,
which don't rely on entry points and pkg_resources.

FYI the distlib executable launchers (not based on setuptools, but work the
same way) and the distlib script generation approach does not require
distlib to run. You might be able to make use of that in some way :-)

Regards,

Vinay Sajip